Book Online

Columnists

Philip Evans

Columnists

From The Editor's Chair.

All Columnists

News

SIDMOUTH: Knowle relocation dispute is to go before a tribunal

Tuesday, 15 July 2014


A Sidmouth resident fighting to access information about East Devon District Council’s proposed relocation to Skypark is to put his case before a tribunal next month. Jeremy Woodward, of Temple Street, made a request under the Freedom of Information Act in November 2012, for details of relocation working group meetings to be released to the public. An Information Commissioner assessing the case last month ordered the council to release the reports, but the dispute is due to be put before a tribunal after district council bosses appealed the decision. And following the announcement of a date for the hearing – August 28th – Mr Woodward has spoken out about the case. He told Pulman’s View: “The Information Commissioner wants EDDC to make public the report on the state of the Knowle buildings – because they say it was produced by external, independent consultants. “But EDDC has insisted it was an internal matter to help them with their own deliberations and so should not be published. “However, back in February, when the district council’s own scrutiny committee voted for a completely new report to be commissioned without interference from the political leadership, councillors and officers said the report which declared Knowle unfit was independent and professional.” Councillors decided earlier this year to press ahead with plans to move the district council headquarters from Knowle to Skypark. And angry residents have voiced concerns about the expense of the relocation at a time of austerity, as well as the site itself, which is on the outskirts of the district. Mr Woodward’s attempts to uncover confidential details from the council’s relocation meetings now hinge on the public hearing, which will be held at Exeter Magistrates’ Court next month. He added: “My own feelings are that, whatever the outcome of the tribunal, the district council's political leadership has shown it is absolutely determined to go ahead with this relocation project, regardless of any counter arguments. “More depressing still is how most of the majority party councillors have not been asking any awkward questions themselves." When contacted by Pulman’s View, an EDDC spokesperson declined to comment on the case ahead of the tribunal.

Email: jack@pemedia.co.uk

All content © of Pulmans Weekly News unless stated otherwise.



Comments on this news item:

Be the first to comment using the form below.

Add your comment:

Submit your comment below :
Your Name (required) :
Your Email*(required) :
Your Location (required) :
Security question (required) : 6 + 6 =

Your Comment (required) :
Maximum Number of characters for this text box is 400.

You have 400 characters remaining for your description...

I agree to the terms and conditions and comment rules (required) :
The Pulmans Weekly News may edit your comments and not all comments may be published.
Your comments may be published on any Tindle Newspaper Ltd. media.
*Your email address will not be displayed.


Enter the code as it is shown below (required):

Adverts



Main Links

Local Newspapers

Advertise with us

Online Pictures

Online Pictures

Adverts


RSS

Deliver the news to your desktop

Mobile

Browse our site on the go

Subscribe

Subscribe to our newspaper

Archives

Search though the archives

Photos

Buy photos online

Social Bookmarks

Add news to your social networking page