An Independent Family-Owned Newspaper
Thursday, September 18, 2014
Subscribe to our RSS News Feed
AXMIINSTER: Websters: demolition progress is being made
Thursday, 12 June 2014
Work to turn the disused Webster’s site in Axminster into a car park is “well under way” despite no visible progress. Site owner agent Graham Barton has assured residents that work to flatten the remains of the redundant garage and eyesore is on track. There has been some concern expressed about lack of progress, including rumblings from the public gallery at last month’s town council meeting. But Mr Barton, who represents Plymouth-based Hallmark Estates, said: “It may not look like an awful lot is going on, but there has been good progress towards demolition since we received the decision notice on April 11th. Removal of services “The main work has been in the sphere of services removal ahead of actual demolition works. “A local Gas Safe Engineer attended and confirmed that no gas was present in the building but that’s not where it stopped. “Wales and West Utilities, the network supplier of gas to the property, had to check that the pipe from the mains in the road was redundant. Happily it was. “On the electricity front we’ve had both the domestic and commercial meters removed by British Gas and on Thursday (June 5th) evening the men from Western Power Distribution will be isolating the electricity network from the building in the road/pavement outside the property. “The mains water supply had already been turned-off some years ago. “The services are a renowned stumbling block to swiftness of start but we’ve received nothing but speedy responses from all concerned. “The companies involved have been brilliant.” He also explained that there are two planning conditions to satisfy before demolition. Mr Barton said: “The first refers to archaeology and a company has been retained to carry out a watching brief during the development. “The second refers to the provision of information relating to the landscaping scheme and this is well in hand. “It is the last piece of the puzzle prior to demolition commencing albeit the presence of nesting birds will actually influence the official start as it is good practice in line with legislation not to disturb them during the nesting season which is March to August. “The journey is well under way.” The site will be turned into a car park for up to of five years until a long-term solution is found, and the aim is to have it operational before the end of the year
All content © of Pulmans Weekly News unless stated otherwise.
Comments on this news item:
Be the first to comment using the form below.
Add your comment:
Advertise with us
Something to sell?