An Independent Family-Owned Newspaper
Saturday, August 02, 2014
Subscribe to our RSS News Feed
KILMINGTON: Kilmington Legion dedicate new standard
Wednesday, 21 May 2014
ON PARADE: Kilmington’s new Royal British Legion standard was joined by those from neighbouring branches for the service
ST Giles’ Church in Kilmington was packed for the laying-up of the old British Legion standard and the dedication of a new one. The service was conducted by Kilmington Royal British Legion branch chaplain, Pastor Darrell Holmes, on Sunday, May 11th. A generous anonymous donor had funded the new standard to replace the old one, commissioned in 1936, before the Queen authorised the “royal” title to the British Legion. To start the ceremony, the chairman of the 145-strong branch, Roger Lovegrove, committed the old standard to the branch chaplain “for safe keeping in St Giles’ Church for evermore.” After prayers, hymns and a reading, the branch chaplain dedicated the new standard on behalf of everyone present. Pastor Holmes gave a thought-provoking and appropriate address, emphasising the important work of the Legion in supporting the Armed Forces personnel, their dependents and veterans. He pointed out that the new standard was a symbol of comradeship, a fundamental essence of service life, also very evident in the Legion. The Last Post was played by Devon county bugler Derek Payne, chairman of the Seaton branch, after a two-minute silence during which the new standard, borne by Alan Brown from the Axminster branch, was lowered. Legion county chairman Ralph Howard-Williams led the Exhortation prior to the sounding of the Reveille. The new standard was then paraded out of church accompanied by those of nine other local branches that attended the service in support. A reception followed in the village hall, where Mr Lovegrove thanked everyone who had helped organise the event, the members and standard bearers from other branches, the county chairman and Alan Brown, who had given such good advice on all the ceremonial aspects. He then introduced Dr David Ingles, a branch member who had researched and written a book entitled “Kilmington at War 1914-18” to mark the centenary of the start of the First World War in August 1914. David gave some interesting insights into the stories told and announced that the book was available from Hurfords Stores, the Old Inn, the New Inn, Millers Farm Shop, the Archway Book Shop and from the branch chairman in return for a donation. The chairman commended the book, thanking David for all the time and effort that he had expended in compiling it and also expressing his appreciation to Julian Shaw for the photographs and Bob Farley for some of the illustrations.
All content © of Pulmans Weekly News unless stated otherwise.
Comments on this news item:
Be the first to comment using the form below.
Add your comment:
Advertise with us
Something to sell?